14 April 2009

Exploring Downtown Augusta

I am serious about sightseeing. I load up on maps and brochures, pore over them to determine the best routes to see the best things, and then take several days, if needed, to see everything I want to see.

Since I’ve been to Augusta only once before, I decided to have a proper sightseeing binge to acquaint myself with my new home. For my maps and brochures, I went to the Georgia Welcome Center on I-20 (at the GA-SC border) as well as the Visitor Info Center at the Augusta Museum of History. (I haven’t toured that museum yet, so that may be a future New Thing.) The Visitor Info Center has a great map of notable sights in downtown Augusta, and they even sell self-guided driving tour CDs. I also found some helpful websites: http://dasquared.com/ and http://www.historicaugusta.org/tour/tours.html.

I haven’t seen everything yet, but below are some of my favorite sights so far in downtown Augusta. The former Augusta Cotton Exchange building, which is now home to Georgia Bank & Trust, is shown above.

Japanese “Pocket” Garden at Riverwalk, in honor of Augusta’s sister city in Japan, Takarazuka


News Building


Imperial Theater

No comments: