29 September 2009

Columbia, Part II

On Sunday, I went back to Columbia to see more things and to take more photos.

The second leg of my tour began at Finlay Park, where I saw a gorgeous fountain and a great view of the Columbia skyline. Across from the park, I saw the lovely Governor's Mansion and Gardens—albeit through a fence, since the grounds were closed that day. I then cruised through the historic district and headed back toward the Columbia Museum of Art. Along the way, I saw local artist Blue Sky’s Busted Plug Plaza, which is a public art installation that is believed to be the world’s largest fire hydrant.

At the museum, I caught the last day of Cleve Gray’s Man and Nature exhibit and saw Claude Monet’s Seine at Giverny (L'Ile aux Orties), which I think translates to The Island with Nettles from the Seine at Giverny series. I also saw two paintings that made me stare in amazement: Guido Cagnacci’s David Holding Goliath’s Head (1650) and Elliott Daingerfield’s The Moon Path (1900). I don’t know if you can tell by the online images, but Cagnacci’s painting appears to be glowing, and Daingerfield’s painting seems to sparkle with tiny bits of light. More than that, it soothed me, as if it were reaffirming something I didn’t know I knew.

Before heading home, I walked around USC’s Horseshoe area, which looked surreal in the late afternoon sun, then had a light picnic dinner by the canal at Riverfront Park.

No comments: