27 October 2009

Looking Forward, Looking Back

I generally tend to look forward more so than looking back, but I did both on Saturday. In the afternoon, I attended a local 350 Climate Action event, which was part of a much larger effort: “On 24 October, people in 181 countries came together for the most widespread day of environmental action in the planet's history. At over 5,200 events around the world, people gathered to call for strong action and bold leadership on the climate crisis.”

Augusta’s event featured live music and an edible architecture exhibit, along with a handful of groups and vendors. While the term “edible architecture” sometimes refers to cakes in the shapes of buildings (yum!) or mini biscuit cities (um...), this time it referred to community gardens that can supply food for surrounding areas, along with providing myriad other benefits. Which leads me to wonder, are we humans going back to being more community centered?

Speaking of going back, the crisp night air brought out the Spirits of Hallowed Eve at North Augusta’s Living History Park. The park, in keeping with both the season and the pre-electricity times, had an ambiance of reverent quiet and pervasive darkness punctuated by a few children’s frightened giggles and even fewer torches. In fact, it was so dark I could barely see the sequined flip-flops on my feet, let alone the ground. It was disorienting, yet exciting, yet not so exciting due to the $500 camera in my hands. I was prepared to perform a midair turn stunt in the event of a fall, to protect the camera, but I ended up merely stumbling around like everyone else.

No comments: