20 October 2009

Out and About in Augusta

After several days of rain, Monday brought sunshine and a reason to get out and about. I started at the Augusta State University campus, ostensibly to see their New Space Gallery, but really to photograph the campus itself. Then I drove downtown to the historic Magnolia Cemetery to photograph there as well. (Click here to see my photos.) I was on a roll until my camera’s low battery indicator started flashing.

But that was fine because, like my cam’s batteries, I was getting hungry. On my way home, I stopped at the library and went straight to two books I didn’t know I needed to read until I saw them. I also found a couple of DVDs I had been wanting to watch, and suddenly, having to put my Netflix account on hold wasn’t so bad.

Now that I’m home with my loot, my borrowed books are proving to be treasures. One is called Emotional Vampires: Dealing With People Who Drain You Dry, by Albert Bernstein. It’s very insightful, and I’m amazed at Bernstein’s ability to explain the complexities of the human psyche in plain English. Also, rather than contemplate the causes of personality disorders, he focuses on the here, the now, and arming yourself (with knowledge) against emotional vampires. One suggestion in particular I like is that when people act like two-year-olds, you can treat them as such, often with a successful outcome. It seems so obvious now: To manage immature adults, use child psychology.

But the most important strategy, if I’m understanding the book correctly, is to be able to manage yourself no matter what type of person or situation you’re faced with—to be able to think on your feet. Who’d have thought a Monday afternoon would lead to such enlightenment?

4 comments:

Sappha said...

love the photos you took... very pretty :)

Vanessa said...

Thank you. :)

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Terrific photos. Will check out the book, too.

Vanessa said...

Thanks guys. Re the book, I'm about 2/3 through it, and it's still awesome. I'm learning so much about how to relate to all types of people. Brilliant book.