02 February 2010

One New Chocolate Treat

My diet is not the typical American diet. I rarely eat at restaurants, and I rarely eat anything packaged with more than five ingredients. I avoid chemicals, and the only animal products I eat are chicken and turkey (no dairy, eggs, etc). I also avoid added sugars and simple carbs in favor of natural sugars and complex carbs, such as those found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I went from a size 10 to a size 2 on this diet (over six months’ time), and I feel great, so this is how I eat now.

I do, however, have a slight addiction to dark chocolate bars. I usually buy Lindt Excellence 70% bars from Kroger, and it takes me up to a week to eat one bar, so it’s a healthy, budget-friendly indulgence. Still, I’ve been wanting to make my own chocolate treat, with exactly what I want in it. So this week I did, and the result was surprisingly tasty. Here’s my recipe:

2 oz unsweetened baker’s chocolate
2 tblspns coconut milk fat (it usually separates from the milk in the can)
2 tspns blueberries (or cherries, mango bits, orange bits, peppermint leaves, peanut butter, whatever you like)
1 tspn vanilla flavored hemp seed milk
1 tspn raw sugar (unless the coconut milk is sweetened)
1 pinch/sprinkle cinnamon

Place all ingredients into a small bowl. Cover and microwave on 50% power for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until chocolate is melted enough to stir. Stir ingredients until consistent, adding more sugar if needed. Enjoy warm with a spoon, or shape into balls and let solidify in the fridge. Nummy-nums. :)

Note: Refrigerate any uneaten portion.

No comments: