02 March 2010

One New (Print) Issue

One of my gifts for Christmas 2009 was a subscription to O: The Oprah Magazine, and I’m loving it so far. The March issue alone was worth the subscription price. It’s all about de-cluttering, and it covers all kinds of clutter, from stuff in your closets to people in your life.

Even as organized as I am, I read it from cover to cover this past weekend and learned a few things. I especially enjoyed Oprah’s interview with writer, teacher, and Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Among other subjects, he talks about finding happiness by going home to the present moment, which is also known as being mindful. An example of mindfulness, he explains, can be as simple as savoring a cup of tea. Oprah calls it “mindful tea.”

I like that phrase, and I like the idea of appreciating what we consume—not just before we consume it, but as we’re consuming it. Since we’re always consuming something (air, sunlight, etc), there are lots of opportunities for grateful, mindful moments.

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

have never tried it, but I will now!