09 March 2010

One New (Re)Opening

Augusta’s Morris Museum of Art, which is dedicated exclusively to Southern art and artists, closed its doors in January and February for a bit of redecorating. Pieces were brought out of storage, displays were rearranged, et voila, the Morris was ready to reopen this past weekend. Of course I was there to see what they’d done with the place, and lots of other people were too.

I was especially pleased to see three Elliot Daingerfield paintings on display and an inspiring painting of Gloucester Harbor. I didn’t write down the Harbor artist because I thought I could easily find him/her online, but apparently lots of artists have painted this particular harbor. Hmm, I guess I’ll have to visit the museum again soon.

After the grand reopening, I crossed the Savannah River into downtown North Augusta, strolled around, and snapped a few photos. Shown above is Lookaway Hall, which is an Antebellum mansion now used as a bed-and-breakfast inn, and below is downtown North Augusta. The rest of the day’s photos are here, including several of Brick Pond Park, which is a swamp with walking trails, wildlife, and the occasional alligator sighting.

What a pleasant day I had: I got some serious exercise and a good dose of Southern culture.

1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

What a cool piece of architecture!